[12/14/16] Seasonal Forest Service Road Closures For Winter Conditions
Recent storms have dropped snow at lower elevations triggering seasonal road closures for most national forest roads. The road closures prohibit motorized wheeled vehicle use, such as motorcycles, cars and trucks, and allow for safe winter recreational use.
“Roads are closed each winter to wheeled motorized use to prevent road damage and provide for public safety while allowing snowmobile access on select routes,” said Chelan District Recreation Program Manager Paul Willard. “Snowmobile grooming operations have not begun on the Chelan District but our roads are unsafe for wheeled vehicle travel at this time,” he said.
Chelan Ranger District roads currently closed to wheeled motor vehicle use include:
- Grade Creek Road No. 8200 and Upper Joe Creek Road No. 8210 are closed beyond Antilon Lake Sno-Park.
- Washington Creek Road No. 8021 and Cooper Mountain Road No. 8020 are closed above Echo Valley Sno-Park.
- Slide Ridge Road No. 8410 and Shady Pass Road No. 5900 are closed above 25 Mile Creek Sno-Park.
- Shady Pass Road No. 5900 and Entiat River Road, also known as County Road No. 51, are closed above the Entiat River Sno-Park on the Entiat Ranger District.
- Purtteman Gulch Road No. 8010 used for the Echo Ridge trail system is also closed to vehicles.
Winter recreationists need to be prepared for winter conditions, especially as weather conditions can change rapidly. Be equipped for snow-covered and icy roads and carry extra supplies for emergencies. Please abide by seasonal road closures to facilitate safe use of National Forest roads and trails for all recreationists.
There is an extensive list of roads that are closed seasonally on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. Please refer to the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest web page at www.fs.usda.gov/okawen for more information or call your local ranger district office.